I ripped out the button bands yesterday and re-knit them last night and this morning. I haven’t yet re-blocked it, because it doesn’t really need it, so I’ll leave it as it is for the time being.
I am, in a word, delighted with how this sweater now looks. I am so, so, SO glad I took the time to be dissatisfied with complacency and committed to perfection. It’s made this sweater into something I’m proud of, rather than “just okay”.
For those interested in numbers, I changed the button band to 93 sts from 125. I have a hunch this is because my row gauge was off (I had 28 rows per 4″, vs. 26 specified in the pattern), but also because my garter st is likely wider and chunkier than my stockinette (which is normal).
Here’s the link to my Rav page with all the details.
As with any big project, now that it’s over I’m at a bit of a loss as to what to do next. Tea Leaves has been on my needles for almost a year; it’s weird to have it sitting there, wearable! I want to consider my next project carefully, since I run the risk of starting something with all the vim and vigour of a rebounding 19 year old, only to have momentum fade after a week. I am finding that it is good to have at least one of the following on the needles at all times: a sweater, socks, a shawl, a simple stockinette knit, and a hat. At the moment I have 2 scarves and 3 shawls on the go, plus a pair of socks. Time to make hay on some of those, methinks. But Tea Leaves has ignited a bit of a sweater fire in me, and I believe my next one will be Tidal by Cecily Glowik McDonald. I already have the yarn and everything. And for those sweater-minded among you, Indigodragonfly is having a Sweater KAL right now, and let me say that the cumulative brain power, between Kim’s detailed posts and the advice of the ladies in the forum, is staggering.
Off for a stash-dive, now. Later!